To provide a rich, educational drama experience to individuals and families who want to participate in a Broadway musical on a creative, professional level in an environment of conservative spiritual values.
We emphasize the need for Christians to approach even secular projects from a spiritual perspective. Each day begins and ends with a brief Bible devotion. After the final rehearsal each day we discuss what we are learning from the project that makes us better Christians, better servants, and better people.
Each cast member will learn the process of producing a major dramatic presentation by assisting in as many areas as possible: on stage, backstage, costuming, makeup, show program, set building and painting, props, staging, etc.
For all who want to be part of a professional level production, this camp will provide both that experience and other excellent benefits such as:
- Organization skills
- Opportunity to intern with heads of production crews
- Creative teamwork with a large cast of all ages
- Personal discipline in accomplishing a significant task
- Planning & executing bold goals
- Achieving under the pressure of tight time constraints
- Specific production skills
- Broadening your life experience
- Great personal satisfaction from a job done with excellence
WHO IS INVITED?
YOU ARE! We hope you can join our production team, limited to 100 participants.
Individuals: Who want to learn and assist either on or off the stage
Families: Parents and children, working together, can enjoy this unique and rewarding experience.
Ages: ten years old to adults of all ages (younger children by invitation only, as needed for specific roles)
Cost: $310 for the first family member; $290 for each additional family member. This covers room and board for 9 days, a terrific price for a 9-day camp!
WHERE IS IT?
On the campus of Florida College, Temple Terrace, Florida. We are blessed to use all the college facilities, including Hutchinson Auditorium, for our rehearsals and the three public performances of our summer production. The campus is located at 119 N. Glen Arven Avenue, Temple Terrace, Florida.
All participants stay together in a campus dormitory and eat all meals in the college cafeteria. Unless there are extenuating circumstances, all stage performers must plan to stay on campus during the entire camp period.
Camp will end after the final performance and the cast party which follows, which will be late Saturday night, July 15, 2017. Campers may leave at that point or stay in the dormitory that night and leave Sunday afternoon.
We plan to give three public performances in Hutchinson Auditoriums:
Do not try to memorize all the audition lines & songs. If you draw a blank during an audition, it can be difficult to recover. Just know them so well that you can deliver them convincingly, in character, with the script in your hand.
- Although the camp is a secular project, all will be done in a spiritually-based environment. Each day begins and ends with a brief devotion and with a brief assessment of what we are learning from the project to help us be better people and better servants of God.
- Everyone who stays on campus, including camp staff, must pay the camp fee of $310 for the first family member; $290 for each additional family member. Those staying off campus will pay for any meals eaten in the cafeteria.
- All on-stage cast members must come to camp with all lines & songs already memorized. There will be no time to learn them after arriving since we will jump right into full-scale rehearsals.
- Everyone is expected to give his/her best to whatever role(s) assigned, whether on or off stage.
- Those with lead roles are expected to set-the-bar high for all others in attitude, work-ethic, & in leading others to achieve on the highest level. They are expected to be servants to all.
- It will be an intense week of preparation with very specific production deadlines; therefore, everyone is expected to be on time, every time, at every rehearsal or crew assignment.
- Because of the intense nature of the production schedule and the need to depend on every member of the team to do his/her best, it is expected that everyone will eat well, get adequate sleep, and take advantage of rest breaks in order to recoup the energy needed for the entire production period.
- If you are assigned to the show cast, you must complete a costume measurement form and return it to us as soon as possible.
- If in the show cast, you will receive a script/libretto. You are responsible for seeing it is not damaged and that it is returned at the beginning of camp with all pencil marks erased.
- HAVE FUN! Being part of the camp family will be a wonderful experience! You will meet new friends, be challenged to grow in your own self-expectations, be rewarded with the applause of an enthusiastic audience, and will feel the thrill of being part of an extraordinary musical experience.
WITH WHOM WILL YOU BE WORKING?
All camp staff are volunteers who love the musical theater and who have high-level skills in the various production areas. Each volunteer pays his/her own way to be a part of this camp experience.
Royce and Hope Chandler have directed summer camps for about 30 years. They are well experienced in careful organization and paying attention to details so that camp participants have a well-planned and fun-filled camp experience.
Royce has directed many Broadway musicals including Oklahoma, Fiddler on the Roof, South Pacific, Annie Get Your Gun, Kiss Me Kate, 1776, The Music Man, Carousel, The Sound of Music, My Fair Lady, and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.
Production Crew. We are blessed with volunteers who are highly skilled in programming/running lights and sound, backstage organization, makeup, scenery design/building/painting, choreography, musical direction, and period costuming.
Show cast. Actors/actresses come from all over the U.S. to perform with us…all amateurs but very talented. Many of them have a rich background in musical theater and have played leading roles in numerous shows. Our casts range in age from 6 – 75, providing a wonderful sense of reality in our shows and also a family type atmosphere for all age groups.